Bad Ass

"I just want to feel better." 
I repeated these words over and over to my therapist the week after I asked X to move out. 

"I have to be honest, I don't know how you held on for so long without letting someone know what was going on."
The words from my therapist I will never forget. 

I had held on for so long. I held on to hope. I held on to shame. I held on to fear. 
And it had given me an extreme case of anxiety that was almost crippling. 
Not to mention the damage to my self esteem from staying in a toxic relationship for so long. 
Being constantly shown how little I was worth to the person I had pledged my life to. 
Being constantly quieted. 
Being told I was too much, but also never enough.  

And I had told exactly ZERO people what was happening in my life. 
I had known about some shady things for 4 years, and I just kept it to myself because of fear and shame and embarrassment. So I dealt with it alone. 
That is no way to live. 
But I wasn't even living by that point. 
I was existing and smiling and doing the things I was expected to do. 
When I finally broke and filed for divorce, people were SHOCKED. I was a good liar. I put on a good show, a happy face, a pretty picture. 

But I am here to tell you, the moment I made the choice to leave, I was free. 
I was terrified, but I was liberated. 
And I was ME again. 

I cannot begin to explain the satisfaction of moving out, finding my own place, paying my own bills, making my own choices. 
I never knew exactly how strong I could be. 
I never knew how much of myself I had lost. 

It's a weird feeling to be falling apart and coming back together all at once. 
But I am doing it. 
I'm no longer terrified. Only optimistic. 
Because I am a bad ass. 
I mean, I always have been, but now I feel it. 

Awkwardly Yours, 
Meg

Comments

  1. I love this. I can relate about the keeping silent, and not telling a soul and being a great actress. I left him 2 years ago and I'm still not fully recovered, but I am strong and there is always progress. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so hard. Hang in there girl!! Thank you for reading!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts