They say it’s your birthday.

Birthdays. 
Some people love them, some people hate them. 
For me they get weirder every year. 

I don’t fit in a box, or  a confined space, or even an idea of what I should be. 
I tried though.  God I tried. 
In my youth I was a chameleon. 
I became what I thought people expected of me. 
But, expectations are the currency of fools. 
And I too, have spent my fair share. 

Here, as my thirty second year of life looms over me, I look back and see the branches. 
The spaces where my life set on a new path. 
There’s so many. 
My tree is staunch and hearty and twisted. 
And the anxious spaces in my brain crave psychic knowledge. 
But even I, a witch of trickery, cannot predict what will be. 

In times of uncertainty, we tend to hold fast. 
Tread water. 
Sit in what we know. 
Because not having a vision, a clear and precise vision, is terrifying. 

This uncertainty is vast. 
Never ending. 
But I can only continue. 
One foot in front of the next. 
Choosing the life that I am capable of making. 

Held fast in the the thought that, though I cannot see my future, it is bold and brave and not uncertain at all. 
Because I am rooted, in my story. 
Lessons have been learned. 
I am choosing to walk forward. 
I can no longer hold my breath and tread in that safe water. 

Awkwardly yours, 
Meg

Comments

Popular Posts